Career resources for graduate students interested in diverse/Alt-ac careers
Humanities scholars reflect on what they do, & how they came to be.
- Beyond the Professoriate
Helps grad students and PhDs leverage their education into meaningful careers, whether in academia or beyond
From PhD to Life: Meaningful Careers for PhDs
Dr. Jen Polk is a regular contributor to University Affairs. She is active in supporting people with PhD as they navigate their careers.
Papa PhD (Podcast)
Dr. David Mendes (located in Montreal) interviews individuals who have completed PhDs and have chosen non-academic careers. He interviews in French and English.
Jobs on Toast
Dr. Chris Humphrey provides good resources and a lot of information on transferrable skills.
- Anne Krook
Dr. Krook supports "graduate students and postdocs transition to non-academic workplaces and help undergraduate humanities majors translate their skills into jobs."
- Graduate Students Resources by the Public Humanities Hub at UBC
Resources for graduate students who are interested in learning more about alt-ac, post-ac, or other diverse career options.
Career resources by sector
Further Education Resources
- Lynda: LinkedIn Learning
Subjects and courses for every step of your career. Instructors with real-world experience.
- American Educational Research Association (AERA) Jobs: https://careers.aera.net/jobs/
- Times Higher Education (THE) Job Board: https://www.timeshighereducation.com/unijobs/
- UBC Faculty of Education Job Board: https://educ.ubc.ca/education-careers/
- BC Post Secondary Employers Association: https://psea.bc.ca/members/employment-opportunities
- Higher Education Jobs: https://www.higheredjobs.com/career/
- The Chronicle of Higher Education: https://jobs.chronicle.com/
- Inside Higher Ed Careers: https://careers.insidehighered.com/
- University Affairs: https://www.universityaffairs.ca/search-job/
- Higher Education Recruitment Consortium: https://www.hercjobs.org/
- Make A Future: Teaching Jobs in BC
Official website for K-12 jobs in BC. You can find teaching jobs as well as other careers in K-12.
- Education Canada: https://educationcanada.com/search.html
- British Columbia Teachers Federation: https://www.bctf.ca/whats-happening/news-stories-search?topic=postings-opportunities
- Government of Canada: Job Search
- Federal Student Work Experience Program
Students can apply to be considered for full or part-time job opportunities across the country. This is a recommended route to experiencing and launching a career in the public sector.
- Post-Secondary Recruitment
Graduates of colleges and universities can apply to be considered for an inventory of jobs. You are considered a graduate even if you graduated from a post-secondary program outside of Canada.
- Recruitment of Policy Leaders
Graduates of a post-graduate degree (eg. MA, PhD) can apply.
- Government of Canada jobs for Indigenous people
- Civic Info BC
BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Tip: Canadian Government, BC Public Service Agency and Metro Vancouver are often employers in the UBC Virtual Career Fair. Visiting their booth is quite helpful for insights on the work application process in the public sector.
- Work in non-profits Canada
- Charity Village
- National NonProfits: https://nationalnonprofits.org/nonprofit-jobs/area-focus/education
- Careers in NonProfit: https://www.wellesley.edu/careereducation/resources/careers-nonprofits
- Corporate Careers That Make a Difference: https://netimpact.org/blog/June-Book-Club-Part-1?action
- *AMC NPO Solutions: https://www.amcnposolutions.com/directory-of-canadian-not-for-profit-associations/
Many nonprofits only post job listings on their websites. You can use this directory to get a list of nonprofit organizations in Canada.
Non-profit Field specific
Website for finding work in the settlement sector with immigrants and newcomers in BC.
- First Nations Health Authority (FNHA) Jobs
Websites for finding work in International Organizations such as the UN, and WHO.
- World Educational Services: https://recruiting.ultipro.com/WOR1020WEDU/JobBoard/e69cea0c-67ff-4625-8ec3-58d077d22d6b/?q=&o=postedDateDesc
- Indeed: Corporate Learning Development Jobs: https://ca.indeed.com/Corporate-Learning-Development-jobs?vjk=2874319b6b7b02f5
- Adult Learning and Continuing Education Jobs: https://www.higheredjobs.com/admin/search.cfm?JobCat=219
- UBC Career resources: https://community.grad.ubc.ca/event-calendar/event-resources
- Public Humanities Graduate Student Survey 2020
EDST students and students from other departments were surveyed in this report.
- REIMAGINING THE PHD: Final Report 2017
- UBC PhD Career Outcome Survey 2016
For the first time, UBC Graduate & Postdoctoral Studies tracked 3805 PhDs who graduated between 2005-13
- Degrees of Success: Labour Market Transition of PhD Graduates
Published by the Council of Canadian Academies (CCA)
A "national project that works to find out more about PhDs in the humanities, social sciences, and fine arts, and to create a community of peers for mentorship and networking. There is a dearth of information on the career paths of PhDs, especially those who work outside the academy. We want to demonstrate the value of PhDs in what we call the human sciences in relation to the larger labour force in Canada, to change how Canadians think about the PhD, and to connect PhDs with one another and to begin a long-neglected project of community building and peer-mentorship."
- Rethinking the PhD
Published by Canadian Association For Graduate Studies (CAGS)